
The FAA has relaxed its earlier rule that forced airlines to cut flight schedules at major U.S. airports. The change lowers the cancellation requirement from 6 percent to 3 percent as air traffic controller staffing improves.
Why the FAA issued the original order
The agency issued the first order on November 7 during the government shutdown. It came after rising controller absences and safety concerns. Controllers worked without pay during this period, which strained staffing at several facilities.
What changed after the shutdown ended
The FAA says controller attendance improved once the shutdown ended on Wednesday night. This allowed the agency to roll back restrictions starting November 15. Airlines had expected this shift, which is why FlightAware showed only 159 cancellations for Saturday, and United Airlines listed no advance cancellations beyond Friday.
Recent surge in cancellations
Earlier in the week, cancellations surged to nearly 3,000 in a single day. This happened due to staff shortages, bad weather, and the FAA’s directive. The situation eased once attendance stabilised and restrictions were lifted.
Government and expert responses
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy says full removal of flight cuts depends on further safety improvements. Experts warn that disruptions can continue because airlines need time to reposition aircraft and crews.
Outlook for holiday travel
Airline leaders remain confident about a quick return to normal operations before Thanksgiving. The shutdown also highlighted long-standing controller shortages, including reports of rising retirements and attrition.
BOTTOM LINE Typically TVF, Easy-Breezy PLATFORM Amazon MX Player RUNTIME 2 Hrs. What Is the…
Mirzapur: The Movie is only a few months away from release, and fresh details about…